Total Pageviews

Sunday, 22 February 2015

First Novel Ever.

It's true that your journey as a reader depends on the first book you read. I've been a reader from a very young age and before that, my mother would read to me. I have always been a fan of comics and I had read many of them even as a kid.
But my first novel that I read myself, was probably 'Robinson Crusoe', which was a gift from a teacher in Grade Three. I read it out of curiosity and fell in love with the story. Of course I hadn't understood half of the story then (I know for sure because when I reread it as a teenager, the story was as good as new) but that did bring out the reader in me. I suddenly started looking out for books and I started reading the titles and the author's names whenever I found one. And that is how the bookaholic in me was born.

But the book (series, really) that shaped me as a reader was the Harry Potter series, by J.K.Rowling. It so happened that I was travelling on a train with my mother and was completely bored out of my wits. And I kept complaining to her about it. A co-passenger, a young guy, asked me if I'd like to read something and I jumped up in delight. I was barely nine and he knew that, so I expected him to give me a comic or, at least, a small book. But when he took out this big book, with a guy, a train and an owl on the cover I looked at him, surprised. He handed it over and asked me if I could finish the first page in five minutes. Always a lover of challenges, I took it from him and sat down to read. After what seemed relatively lesser than five minutes to me but apparently a little more than that, I looked at him and smiled. He shocked me by asking me a few easy questions about it, to which I answered quickly. I didn't expect him to be so happy about it, but apparently he was. He told me to read further and ask him if I had queries. I did as I was told and by the time I finished the fourth chapter, we had already reached our destination.
I closed the book and handed it over to him. I guess I must have looked like a lost puppy because he smiled and told me I could keep it if I promised to finish it. I said I'd and we parted ways.

It has been eleven years since that day and I still thank that guy for introducing me to Harry Potter and moreover to book series.
I went on to finish the series and then I watched the movies. I have followed and abandoned ships, I have loved and hated the characters, laughed and cried with them, and not to forget fallen in love with the Weasley twins over and again and, of course, with Sirius Black. I had my first 'I-wanna-kill-this-guy' moment when I was introduced to Voldemort. My first fangirl moment when I read about Viktor Krum. My first heart break when Cedric Diggory died. Understood what it felt like to lose a loved one when Sirius Black died. Cursed everyone I could find when Hedwig died. Cried like a kid when Dobby died and the other deaths that followed left deeper wounds. And this is just naming a few moments. I can't even get started on how the series inspired me with so many great quotes.
I still find people who ask me what is so special about the series that I just don't shut up about it. To them, I say, why not read it for yourself? And to those who still don't understand, well, I'm only human.

I might not be the same admirer of Harry Potter as I once was, but it shall always be the first loved series in my life.
For me, this series has been a life turner. It's because of these books that I fell in love with books and the literary world. So whatever I am today, in terms of literature, I owe it mostly to the guy on the train. And of course, to JKR. :)

Also, life is wonderful when you can forget the reality and dive into a book. Reading is indeed a boon and people very seldom realise it.

2 comments:

Sachin Prabhu said...

Harry potter series is close to my heart ^_^ <3 do u knw j k rowling came with the idea of it while travelling in train? :) and it made me smile reading that you happen to read the book in train :) keep writing :)

thisisshwethabhat said...

Wow, this is news to me! Cool. And thank you! I will and you keep writing too. :D :)

Featured post

#37 Who am I?

'Tell me,' he said. 'Who are you?' She smiled. 'I'm an open book about a mystery you cannot solve. I'm the r...