Last year, year 2013, on New Year's eve I received a text, reminding me about the meet up we had decided on. My high school friends had decided to meet up for a New Year's day out. I was excited, by the thought of getting to see all my high school girlfriends after so long. It had been almost two years since I had seen them.
People get busy after high school, what with all the new exposure the college life tends to give us. I got busy and so had they. Not many words were exchanged either in the span of two years, so I was looking forward to meeting all of them.
I realised that I hadn't replied to the message about my consent, so I did. Everyone was happy that I was finally trying to bond with them again.
High school is like a rocking boat for everyone, but for me it was harder. I had just shifted to a new school and I took a lot of time to adjust to the new surroundings. Maybe too much, for which I will always feel bad.
The girls had been nice to me, they had accepted me and were easygoing. But I had still stayed aloof, God knows why.
So I thought of this as my chance to change it all, to go there and make things better between us and I took my chance.
All of the girls had agreed to come, except two girls. One who was busy with college and another who wasn't with us anymore.
A much closer friend of mine and I got to the place we had decided on a little early and we were having a casual conversation, when the girls started coming in one by one.
By the time everyone had assembled, the place was bustling with people and we were all still trying to get comfortable.
I'll admit, it was weird at first to talk to them after so long. I started with listening to their stories and let myself slowly blend in. They hadn't changed much, still the easytalkers they once were so I could quickly pick up the beat. Soon it felt like our surroundings didn't matter anymore. We felt like we were back in our school, like we were having a break time chat.
We talked about our time in school, the kind of fights we used to have, the fun we had during the sports classes we would beg for, our beloved teachers and how much we missed them. It was such a refreshing way to spend the first day of the year. It still makes me smile, to just think about that day.
We had no idea how quickly time had passed, but it was already time to leave. We promised to keep in touch after that and we departed.
It was indeed the perfect beginning to a new year. After all, old friendships always bring a feeling of nostalgia when you meet them after a long time. The day filled me with optimistic approach towards friendship, even the ones that were not very well maintained.
This is my story of togetherness. Of true happiness. For more, you can check the link below.
#together
1 comment:
the time we spent in our school is really the best :D your story took me back to old days. thanks for sharing :) keep writing :)
Post a Comment