"Nisha!" Seher shouted at the top of her voice from her room.
Her elder sister, Nisha, stormed into the room with an exhausted expression. "What?"
"How's the cake coming along, sissy?" Seher smirked.
Nisha sighed. "I'd bake the cake if you'd let me. Why did you shout like a dying man?"
"Hush, now. It's your birthday. Don't let little sister get on your nerves." She pouted.
That was all Nisha could take. She burst into laughter and hit Seher playfully.
"I still can't believe you are making me bake my own birthday cake. You're impossible!" She muttered as she turned to leave.
"Aw, Nish. I love you, too."
Just a few minutes later a buzzer went off and Seher jolted down the stairs and entered the kitchen, after making sure Nisha wasn't in there.
"Yay! Yummy cake, here I come." Seher reached for the cake.
"Not so soon, Seher. Wait for people to come. Remember, it's Nisha's birthday, not yours." Ronit gave a stern look.
"Ronit, the guy who hates his sister-in-law!" Seher muttered under her breath and walked away.
Ronit followed her into the living room and sat next to her on the sofa.
"Did you get her something?"
"Of course I did, Nisha's boyfriend. What did you get her?"
"Remember that trench coat she was looking at a few days ago? That is her gift."
"You mean, you hadn't bought her gift until just a couple of days ago? What kinda boyfriend are you?" Seher pulled a disgusted face.
"Yeah, stop acting all cute and tell me what you got her?"
"A small snowflake pendant, which by the way, she already knows of." She scratched the back of her neck
"You're a smarty!"
"So I'm told."
*20 Jan, 2015. 6 P.M*
"Put on the lights, will you, Ronit?" Nisha called out from her room.
On getting no response, she decided to put on the lights herself.
Before leaving, she checked her reflection one last time, made sure she looked good and walked out of her room. The moment she stepped into the living room, lights came on and everyone shouted 'Happy birthday,' in unison. Nisha was in a trance. It took her a moment to register her surroundings. Blue coloured balloons were everywhere, floating in the air, on the ground, on the recliners.
Must be Seher's choice, she thought, who else would decorate the room all in blue. Laughing at her sister's love for the colour, she stepped inside the room with a huge smile on her face.
All her colleagues, cousins and friends were present. But her eyes were transfixed on two people in the room, her guy and her sister.
She walked towards Ronit and gave him a hug.
"Happy birthday, again, Nishu!" Ronit whispered in her ears.
"Thank you, Ronit, for all this. It means a lot to me."
She turned and smiled at her sister, who was looking pretty in her red gown.
"Seher, thank you. Especially for the blue balloons, you remembered that I love blue!" She winked.
"This is all I wanted to hear, mission accomplished." Seher stuck her tongue out at Ronit. "Happy birthday, darling. I love you!" She said, facing Nisha again.
"I love you, too. Both of you. Thank you for everything!" She hugged them both in a tight hug. As a tiny drop of tear surfaced on her cheek, she wiped it and wished again that her father would've been there too.
Her elder sister, Nisha, stormed into the room with an exhausted expression. "What?"
"How's the cake coming along, sissy?" Seher smirked.
Nisha sighed. "I'd bake the cake if you'd let me. Why did you shout like a dying man?"
"Hush, now. It's your birthday. Don't let little sister get on your nerves." She pouted.
That was all Nisha could take. She burst into laughter and hit Seher playfully.
"I still can't believe you are making me bake my own birthday cake. You're impossible!" She muttered as she turned to leave.
"Aw, Nish. I love you, too."
Just a few minutes later a buzzer went off and Seher jolted down the stairs and entered the kitchen, after making sure Nisha wasn't in there.
"Yay! Yummy cake, here I come." Seher reached for the cake.
"Not so soon, Seher. Wait for people to come. Remember, it's Nisha's birthday, not yours." Ronit gave a stern look.
"Ronit, the guy who hates his sister-in-law!" Seher muttered under her breath and walked away.
Ronit followed her into the living room and sat next to her on the sofa.
"Did you get her something?"
"Of course I did, Nisha's boyfriend. What did you get her?"
"Remember that trench coat she was looking at a few days ago? That is her gift."
"You mean, you hadn't bought her gift until just a couple of days ago? What kinda boyfriend are you?" Seher pulled a disgusted face.
"Yeah, stop acting all cute and tell me what you got her?"
"A small snowflake pendant, which by the way, she already knows of." She scratched the back of her neck
"You're a smarty!"
"So I'm told."
*20 Jan, 2015. 6 P.M*
"Put on the lights, will you, Ronit?" Nisha called out from her room.
On getting no response, she decided to put on the lights herself.
Before leaving, she checked her reflection one last time, made sure she looked good and walked out of her room. The moment she stepped into the living room, lights came on and everyone shouted 'Happy birthday,' in unison. Nisha was in a trance. It took her a moment to register her surroundings. Blue coloured balloons were everywhere, floating in the air, on the ground, on the recliners.
Must be Seher's choice, she thought, who else would decorate the room all in blue. Laughing at her sister's love for the colour, she stepped inside the room with a huge smile on her face.
All her colleagues, cousins and friends were present. But her eyes were transfixed on two people in the room, her guy and her sister.
She walked towards Ronit and gave him a hug.
"Happy birthday, again, Nishu!" Ronit whispered in her ears.
"Thank you, Ronit, for all this. It means a lot to me."
She turned and smiled at her sister, who was looking pretty in her red gown.
"Seher, thank you. Especially for the blue balloons, you remembered that I love blue!" She winked.
"This is all I wanted to hear, mission accomplished." Seher stuck her tongue out at Ronit. "Happy birthday, darling. I love you!" She said, facing Nisha again.
"I love you, too. Both of you. Thank you for everything!" She hugged them both in a tight hug. As a tiny drop of tear surfaced on her cheek, she wiped it and wished again that her father would've been there too.
3 comments:
The entropy in your blogposts is truly subliminal. This is indeed an exotic form of writing, and girl, I fucking love it.
Thank you so much! You've no idea how much this means to me, coming from an awesome writer like yourself. Thank you! :')
Coordinates like ...baking cake for herself,on her own birthday...the guy who hates his sister in law...makes it readable and recollect able...nice one
Post a Comment