Total Pageviews

Monday, 29 February 2016

#40 The last memory

I stood there, watching him walk away from me,
I held my hand out, in hope of holding on to him,
A hand, a sleeve; something of his I was wishing for,
Instead I was left alone, grabbing at plain air.

I stepped slowly into the footsteps he had left behind,
The very sand he had set foot on, touching me now,
From a hundred steps away I heard his voice again,
Talking to a stranger like what happened was nothing.

My heart kept breaking into even smaller pieces,
I kept wishing for him to come help me pick them up,
But he was long gone, and so were his footsteps,
I guess the sea now hated him as much as I did.

I dropped to the ground then and broke down,
And wrote our names in the sand for the last time.
As the waves took over our names, erasing them,
I made up my mind to let his memories fade away.




Written for the prompt 98 -  A week for writing.

https://aprompteachday.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/prompt-98-picture-prompt/


No comments:

Featured post

#37 Who am I?

'Tell me,' he said. 'Who are you?' She smiled. 'I'm an open book about a mystery you cannot solve. I'm the r...